Basilica of St. Clare
The Basilica of Santa Chiara (St. Clare’s) is on the opposite side of Assisi from that of San Francesco. The two Basilicas thus face each other, albeit at a distance, and face towards the town. The church of San Giorgio (St. George) used to stand on the site of the Basilica of Santa Chiara. Here St. Francis was buried immediately after his death on the evening of 3rd October 1226 at Santa Maria degli Angeli, and here he remained until his canonisation, when his body was solemnly transferred into the Basilica dedicated to him. The construction of the Basilica of Santa Chiara began in 1257, four years after the saint’s death. In the meantime, the convent to which the Clarissas moved in 1260 from San Damiano, was also built. They took with them there various relics, including the Crucifix which had spoken to Francis. For this reason, we can still admire this Byzantine-style Crucifix today, preserved in the exact spot where the early church of San Giorgio used to stand. In this Basilica, pilgrims can venerate the mortal remains of St. Clare, on display in the crypt, as well as being able to see various relics of Clare and Francis and pray silently in front of the Crucifix, using the Saint’s very words.